Education & Programs
The Institute for American Indian Studies seeks to teach through educational programs based on unbiased historical research and interpretation. Programs are designed to be accurate and interactive, and to stimulate further interest in the wonder and diversity of the earth's many cultures, beginning with the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
The Institute for American Indian Studies offers education programs for all grade levels, Pre-K through 12th. On a field trip to IAIS, each class will be greeted at the door by one of our experienced Educators. These Educators will guide each class through the museum and to our outdoor replicated Algonkian village. A number of additions can be made to the core program, including Native American Games, Native American Stories and Native American Crafts. A field trip to IAIS is a field trip you'll always remember!
To schedule a group visit, call the IAIS Education Department at (860)868-0518 ext. 103 or email our Education Department
- Program dates are assigned on a first come, first served basis with many peak season programs scheduled months in advance.
- All accompanying teachers are admitted free of charge.
- One (1) chaperone for every ten (10) children is allowed free of charge.
- Programs run as scheduled on rainy days. Students should be encouraged to dress appropriately.
- In the event of a cancellation, a full two weeks notice is required or a $100 cancellation fee will be charged.
- Cancellations due to school closings, delayed openings or early dismissals will not be charged and we will do everything possible to reschedule the trip for a convenient date.
- A deposit for large groups may be required.
Here are some important facts to keep in mind about your IAIS field trip...
- Payment is due upon arrival on the day of program. At time of registration, please give a total count of all students and chaperones attending before the program begins. Arriving 15 minutes before start time is recommended.
- At the start of the day, please have each group in a separate line outside the doors. An IAIS Educator will greet them and take them to their first destination.
- There is a short walk to the outdoor replicated Algonkian village. Please make sure that participants are aware of this and are properly dressed for the day's weather conditions.
- Due to the delicate nature of our artifacts, flash photography is strictly prohibited in the museum with the exception of the Sachem's House Classroom. Please ask before taking pictures.
- Time in the IAIS Gift Shop is scheduled and organized. After their purchase, each student's bag will be labeled with their name and placed in one large bag with the teacher's name, containing all of the group's purchases. This bag will stay in the gift shop until the teachers or group leaders pick them up at the end of the program.
- The Institute does not have an indoor cafeteria; however there are picnic tables and benches to use outside. If this poses a problem, please contact us as soon as possible.
- Each group is responsible for their own lunch garbage. If you are not taking it with you, please place all garbage in a sealed or tied bag inside the dumpster located in the lower parking lot.
- Although it is not usually a problem, discipline is the responsibility of the teachers and chaperones, not the IAIS Educators.
- Most importantly, have a safe, fun and educational trip.
IAIS Souvenir Gift Bags are available for scheduled groups wishing to purchase souvenirs ahead of time. Please call your order in at least three weeks prior to your arrival. Gift Bags will be sorted and packaged by class and given to the teachers to distribute at the end of the program. Once order is submitted to IAIS, we cannot guarantee changes to the order. Gift Bag contents are subject to availability. If a substitution or addition is necessary, we will include an item(s) of equal value.The Algonkian...$5 per bag
- Horn Whistle
- Lucky Rabbit Foot
- Animal Bookmark
- Maple Pop
- Fancy Bamboo Flute
- Chevron Bead Bracelet
- Animal Bookmark
- Rock Candy
We look forward to seeing you!