Thank you for your interest in joining the Institute for American Indian Studies Staff!
We are currently seeking applicants in our Education department. Review of applications will occur as they are received. Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions.
The Institute for American Indian Studies preserves, through discovery and education the vitality, knowledge, and diverse traditions of Native American Peoples with a specialization in Eastern Woodland Cultures.
The Education Department at the Institute for American Indian Studies (IAIS) develops and delivers learning experiences for visitors of all ages, backgrounds, learning styles and abilities through educational programming, interpretation, outreach, visitor services and curriculum development. The department develops and presents interpretive programs and curriculum-based education programs to school children, the visiting public, and adult groups; oversees the creation and distribution of curriculum, pre-visit informational packets and post visit follow up, recommends reading and resources to teachers; recruits and trains educators; assists with the execution of public programming and special events; and ensures that all visitors receive exemplary service and have a pleasurable and educational interaction, online and in-person.
The Education Coordinator’s responsibilities include the implementation, scheduling, and evaluation of educational programs (on-site and outreach) and educational materials. S/he is also responsible for professional development for education department staff. S/he also maintains IAIS’s online education resources and program components.
- Scheduling and staffing all education programs.
- Designing and preparing curriculum-based materials for all educational programs while working with the research department to ensure all content is accurate and presented in a respectful manner.
- Coordinating and presenting on-site and outreach educational programming including customized programming.
- Managing and archiving of education programs, department materials and participant data.
- Design brochures and market programs.
- Mailing informational brochures and calling to engage and build relationships with schools, senior centers, retirement communities and scouting troupes within a predetermined radius of IAIS—NY, CT and MA.
- Supervision and scheduling of part-time educational staff.
- Ensuring continuity of content delivered in education programming by various educators.
- Summer camp: verify/update state camp certification; plan, coordinate, market, implement and evaluate each summer camp.
- School vacation programs: coordinate, market, implement and evaluate any school vacation programming.
- Collaborate with staff to plan events and quarterly calendar, coordinating and implementing new ideas and programs consistent with the IAIS mission and vision.
- Four-year degree or equivalent experience in an educational setting.
- At least three years’ experience working with children and/or adults in a learning environment.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to differentiate instruction for all ages and learning styles in a hands-on, active environment.
- Experience working with diverse communities; knowledge and understanding of Native American cultures.
- Basic content knowledge and eagerness to learn about Connecticut and New England’s indigenous peoples.
- Basic content knowledge and eagerness to learn about archaeology.
- Computer skills for designing brochures, maintaining databases, etc.
- Organizational and administrative skills.
- Flexibility, creativity, and willingness to test and evaluate new educational methods.
- Ability to manage staff and offer professional development.
- Ability to work outdoors, especially during the summer.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs., standing for long periods of time, etc.
- Willingness to work in a team environment.
- Other tasks as needed.
- Some weekends and evening work required.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to [email protected]. Review of applicants will begin immediately. The position will be open until filled.